What is See Inside Manufacturing?
See Inside Manufacturing (SIM) is a partnership between BIS and Industry which has been created to transform students perception of manufacturing in strategic sectors.
SIM is an effective initiative where manufacturers are asked to open their doors to interact with students, teachers and career advisors to visit their manufacturing facilities and change the sceptical perceptions of manufacturing and ‘get behind the scenes’ of success.
Benefits of See Inside Manufacturing
- Raises the profile of the manufacturing sector to young people, teachers and career advisors;
- Encourages young people to study manufacturing related subjects and develop skills required by industry;
- Complements sector education and promotion programmes;
- Supports sector strategies developed by government and industry, and the Perkins Skills Review findings, to address barriers to economic growth;
- Build and maintain relationships of a nationwide campaign, whilst attracting media interest and support of Ministers;
- Use the SIM brand to have access to marketing material and the SIM website to support activity of engagement.
What’s happened so far?
SIM was launched in June 2011 and was piloted in the automotive sector under the auspices of the Automotive Council (a sector Council) and coordinated by SMMT (a trade association). More than 35 companies and organisations invited teachers, careers advisors and young people to visit their manufacturing facilities at nearly 100 events across the country, reaching 1000 people.
The SIM 2012 programme included automotive, aerospace and food & drink sectors, and reached out to 4500 people with some of the most successful household name companies including BMW (mini), Ford, Honda (UK), Lotus, McLaren Group, Michelin Tyre, Airbus, BAE Systems, Rolls-Royce, Britvic, Coca-Cola Enterprises, Mars Chocolate UK, Nestle UK and many more.
2013 saw the SIM programme extended further to ten key manufacturing sectors, over 170 visits were arranged in October 2013. In excess of 6300 young people and their teachers visited companies throughout the UK. The feedback from their visits was positive with over 90% of young people saying that they had enjoyed their visits.
What’s Next? See Inside Manufacturing 2015
October 2015 will see the See Inside Manufacturing programme reach out to more businesses, sectors, schools and colleges than ever before. We are working with our partners to increase the number of visits and range of loactions.
Businesses across the UK are being encouraged to reach out to their local schools and colleges to offer a site visit. This will give more young people and their teachers the chance to understand what a modcern UK manufacture looks like.
With your help the manufacturing industry will:
- Be part of a strategic programme to address the skills shortage in the UK;
- Extend its reach to tap into and develop future skills and talent;
- Build and maintain relationships with SMEs, supply chain and large companies;
- Achieve valuable regional and national coverage;
For further information contact the BIS Promotion of Manufacturing Team at: firstname.lastname@example.org